9.15.2009

A Different Side of Korea.

"Hongdae" is relatively a shorter term for "Hongik University" which is well known in Korea for it's Art Department. But more than the university itself that has thousands of students dying to get accepted, it is the dazzling nightlife that makes it worth a visit. They say the area near the campus is a living, breathing expression of art in motion, and I couldn't agree more. Flocked with hundreds of one-of-a-kind cafes, eclectic shops filled with products you couldn't find anywhere, restaurants sampling different world cuisines, and funky nightclubs all boasting state of the art equipments, Hongdae is the perfect hub for the thrill seeking, art enthusiast youngsters.

We went there on a Sunday afternoon, but the hordes of Koreans, mostly young and hip people wearing the most fashionable clothes there are that filled the streets made me check my calendar twice to see if it really is a Sunday afternoon.

Hongdae has an entirely different culture. It's far from the conservative, sometimes obnoxious Korean ways you're used to. I love how different and open this place is. Everything is cool (to a much, much higher degree), fun, vibrant, and quirky. You could never be too weird, too hip, or too out-of-this-world here!

Here's a plate number I saw that has 'attitude'.


Graffiti is something I'm not used to seeing in Korea. But in Hongdae, it's as normal as seeing a cigarette butt lying on the floor.

I'm not into the Korean music scene, but I heard Drunken Tiger is the best hip hop artist here in Korea.


This small sausage stall attracts so many customers. The average waiting time to taste that sausage is somewhere between 30 minutes to an hour.


Whatever it is that you're looking for, you could find it in these stores.






The 3rd floor is actually a restaurant. It's not really old and rusty, it's just their concept.

So if the things around you bore you to death, why not visit Hongdae and experience a totally different, somewhat outrageous side of Korea.

0 comments: