4.26.2010

Korean Food Project: Dubu Gganjang Jorim

I first tasted Dubu Gganjang Jorim (Tofu simmered in soy sauce) at a friend's house, it's one of the side dishes served that evening. I liked it so much that I asked my friend for the recipe so I could make it at home. Like most Pinoys, I'm drawn to food cooked in soy sauce so this banchan easily became one of my favorites. It's healthy, delicious and fairly simple to make. Here's my version of it.

You'll need: 300 grams of tofu, half a cup of soy sauce, a teaspoon of sugar, half a teaspoon of chopped garlic, leeks, green peppers, egg and olive oil for frying.



And here's how I do it:

Slice tofu into bite size pieces, and dip into a beaten egg mixture before frying it in olive oil. The recipe doesn't really call for eggs, but I use it so the tofu wouldn't stick to the pan. You could always omit the egg if you have a teflon or a non-stick pan.



In a bowl, combine the soy sauce, sugar, garlic, chopped leeks and peppers (with the seeds removed). Mix it well and pour it in the pan. Make sure to turn the tofu to the other side so both sides are covered in soy sauce. Wait till the sauce is reduced before turning off the heat.



And here's the finished product.



It's best to eat this at room temperature with a hot bowl of rice. Eventhough it has some peppers on it, it's not really spicy so even the kids would surely enjoy it!

0 comments: