7.27.2007

The highly coveted VISA

I feel bad for so many Pinoys out there who are dreaming to work here in the Land of the Morning Calm but too bad the Korean Embassy temporarily stopped issuing working visas for Filipinos because of the apparent corruption within the Department of Foreign Affairs. I can't blame Korea for doing something like this harsh though many people are going to suffer the consequences. It's bad enough that we are obviously not a good candidate for getting a VISA in so many countries I couldn't count. I could remember when I was at the Embassy in Manila waiting for my scheduled interview. I asked the clerk about the long queue of people looking rather depressed upon retrieving their passports. I was told that those people were denied and when I asked for the reason he said the Embassy is very well aware of our economic situation and that those people have a very high chance to stay abroad illegally had they've been approved.
Korea's economy is getting better and better boasting higher GDP every year. What about us? It's sad that once we were the model country of Korea. They once put us in a pedestal and tried their very best to be at par with our economic progress. But it was in the long past already. And they have become the 12th richest country in the world and us one of the poorest.
Due to their economic stability, they can now enter the US without VISA. It means a regular Korean citizen can enter Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Spain, US, and others I lost count. Koreans know about our sad history, our economic regression, and the rampant corruption and yet they still see a future in the Philippines, that's why it's the top retirement spot for them. They do have that Philippine dream; to live in a big house, with the luxury of having helpers, and basically having the comfortable life they can't have here with their measly pension.

0 comments: