10.15.2009

Autumn Travelogue: Samyang Ranch, Sweeter the Second Time Around.

Three seasons ago, we were at the same ranch, enjoying the most beautiful winter scenery we've ever seen. This time around, without the snow and the sub-zero temperature, we got a clearer picture of how truly marvelous this place is. Samyang Ranch is Asia's largest green pasture on a plateau. This vast meadow is where milking cows feed. It's located high above Daegwallyeong, one of the highest and coldest places in South Korea.


The journey to get there is already an adventure itself. The roads are long and tortuously covered in bumps and small rocks, however, the view along the way makes up for the uncomfortable ride. Pine trees perfectly line the road, with rows of beautiful mountains, valleys, and rivers as backdrop. We passed by a small village where houses are built mostly of wood in traditional fashion. There were several farmers, busy tending their rice field that looks sparklingly golden from afar.


We arrived mid-afternoon, and the heat from the sun made the cold temperature bearable. We parked at a gravel-covered ground, next to a bridge. I stopped and took a picture of the stream, the first of the many beautiful sights in Samyang.





We spent a few, good minutes traversing the gravel-covered ground till we saw the entrance marked by some Chinese letters.





While Chris was at the men's room, I was busy exploring the area. I saw this really nice gazebo hidden amongst thick trees.





The ranch stands at 1,470 meters above sea level, and it overlooks the East Sea and the green fields from the West. To get there, we need to take a bus. The bus ride is for free, but some people chose to climb the very steep road to the top on foot!





At the top, vast green fields and gigantic wind turbines await us. The sky is at it's bluest state there, and the wind is chilly and strong. I've never seen a place so wide, so vast, and so beautiful.





From where I sat, I could literally smell the fresh green grass! It's such an awesome treat to see the vast green field that covers the entire area like a thick carpet.





It's understandable why this place is frequented by couples and 'honeymooners'. The air is definitely laced with romance!





They raise plenty of animals inside the ranch but to see them, we had to follow a walking course that lasts for a couple of hours. The walk is awfully long, especially under the intense heat of the mid-afternoon sun, but it's the best way to enjoy the beauty of the grand ranch.




The view from the plateau peaked by giant turbines we saw along the way is spectacular. We didn't mind our aching feet, our sunburnt skin, or the fact that I was so thirsty I could literally drink from the stream where the cows, sheep, and squirrels drink! Chris had to stop me saying there might be a vendo machine hidden somewhere. Like a 3 year old, I believed him, but like most of you could guess, there was really no vendo machine.




A bigger adventure lies on the next part, so stay tune for more!









0 comments: