10.14.2011

Chon eun sa.

I'm getting into the swing of things.  My resolve to write here again has been utterly renewed and it's a good feeling.  I don't feel so awkward and contrived anymore.  I feel stupid for abandoning this, my own personal memoir. This tangible thing that helps me remember that once, my life was filled with newness and excitement.  It helps me get through that suffocating dullness of lethargy and boredom that fill my days..I'm hurting to take off into the ether and let my pathetic days be filled with adventures and road trips.  These are psychedelics to my veins.  Like adrenaline and really strong caffeine, it swishes me from normalcy to Eudaemonia.

One of the last places I visited in Korea was Chon eun sa.  A Buddhist temple built on top of a very steep mountain in Gangwon province.  The place is so steep, you'd need to use your handbrakes to go down.  So temples.  This might conjure boring images of statues, pagodas, and identical pavilions for most.  Not exactly the kind of trip that gets your blood rushing.  It's not at all romantic. Not even ideal for families with small children who couldn't appreciate culture and antiquity.  But I see it as mysteriously enchanting. Peace and calm permeating the air. Monks chanting to the beat of their very own Buddhist music.  Ajummas deep in prayers, some of them doing penitence of 1000 bows.  And with surroundings so serene and pristine, you'd think Alice and the white rabbit might be around somewhere.

Most of the temples in Korea have become more of a tourist destination. Cheon un sa is one of the few remaining ones that serve it's purpose.  Providing shelter for monks and a place of pilgrimage for devout Buddhists.  Tourists are unusual sight here.




Can someone tell me, is this persimmon tree?  I'm guessing it is. But then, my knowledge of trees constitute only three things: bananas, coconut, and mango tree. So most likely I'm wrong.



Writing this entry spurs me into thinking; why can't we just abandon all reason, hit the road, and be hippies of the 21st century?  It would be so utterly great right? I hate that gas is a finite resource. I hate that our society run off money. I hate that I wasn't born rich to afford this morbid addiction for endorphin-releasing adventures. Sorry for the impromptu rant.

So it's Friday. Weekend is almost within our grasp. Breathe it. Enjoy it. After all, life is too great to spend on redundancies and boring routines.

0 comments: