2.10.2009

The Banner.

Chris and I both love traveling together, it's an addiction both of us gladly and openly acknowledge. And since we grew up in big cities surrounded by buildings, gigantic roads, and traffic all our lives... we absolutely love seeing the country side. Both of us agree that the more rural and agricultural the place is, the better... We surely get a kick out of seeing rice fields, cattles, and small rural villages. That's why we love visiting Kangwondo.. The fact that it's so 'backwoodsy' and 'agricultural' make it a very interesting spot for the boondocks-crazed couple like us...

So our recent trip to Kangwon-do was all fun, except for one thing that made me feel revolted and sickened to my gut. As we were driving in some random road in Kangwon-do, we were caught up in a mild traffic in an intersection, with a bulk of tourist slowly inching towards the same road going to Seorak National Park... It was there I saw a huge banner, hung high above a post, strategically positioned so all passers-by would conveniently see... Written on the banner was the word 피 리 핀, scandalously printed in neon-pink. I have this bizaare habit of reading signages while inside the car.. It helps keep boredom in the backseat, and I get to practice my reading skills at the very least. Of course, reading the word "Philippine" in some random streamer would surely rise a huge deal of curiosity in me. I intently asked Chris to translate everything written on the banner. But he did the unexpected... he gritted his teeth and said "it's just an advertisement..." while sounding utterly annoyed. Since he refused to divulge any information about the banner, I idiotically read everything over and over again, looking for keywords I could understand. There was a certain amount of money written that drove me even more curious. I asked Chris again to translate everything for me, my voice threatening. My jaw dropped as he glumly explained what was written. It was an advertisement for young, beautiful Filipina brides for the price written.. For sure it came from those shameless marriage brokers that sell girls like a piece of meat. For a second, I thought about snapping a picture but Chris strongly asked me not to.. He said he didn't want to be reminded of it.

Our discussion mainly circulated in the issue for the next hour. I asked him a lot of questions, eager to hear his opinion. The law of supply and demand explanation surfaced. Korean women are scarce in rural areas so the logical thing to do is to import women from foreign countries. Out of this answer, several discussions about international marriage was brought up. It was an uncomfortable topic to begin with. Marriage for some is as simple as falling in love, but there are others who have different intentions. Sure there's a stigma about international marriage between Koreans and Filipinas. Koreans afterall are homogenous people, proud of their pure race, so marriage like that are bound to raise controversies... I'm not here to discuss those. I'm just here to bend that stigma a little..

I didn't come from a rich family... Ok, I know the word 'middle class'
is so overrated, but I think it's the best way to describe it. My dad was a University Professor, and my mom was an Accountant. I can say both of my parents are well-educated and capable of providing for our needs. I took up a 5 year medical course in college in preparation of being a doctor. It took me 5 long years before I realized that being a doctor isn't my true calling. My mom dreamed of having a doctor in the family so when it didn't work out for me, she forced that idea to my sister. She almost had an aneurysm when my sister rescinded and took up Computer Engineering instead. My parents were allergic to the fact that I was going out with a Korean. But I was stubborn and in-love so they couldn't do anything about it. Once, I forced them to meet Chris at a restaurant in Mother Ignacia. Chris thought it was just about time to meet them... My dad didn't show up that day and it took an hour of prodding before my mom decided to come. Chris wanted to impress her so bad, make her realize that he's not what they think he is. It wasn't easy to change her perception about Chris.. They see him as someone who'll take me away from them. Sadly, it was the day I saw Chris cry like a young boy for the first time. Not because of rejection, but he thought he wasn't good enough.

For me, he has always been more than enough, more than what I deserve... I've always been proud of him, although I don't necessarily show that side so much. Chris is the most educated and intelligent person I know. His relatives attest to that fact, and I'm sure his parents are very proud of him too. He graduated among the highest 2.4 percent of his class in Hanyang University... It may not be Seoul University, but 4th (based on mech. engineering major) or 5th best (based on overall standing) University at that time, proves to be 'something' in this education-crazed country. He got accepted to Samsung Electronics which is probably the biggest company now in Korea, and I could comfortably say that he's earning more than the average Korean in his age. His English skill is also as good as me, and I never had a problem with him not knowing a certain word I said. And the good thing about him, he tries to be even better, so he studies Chinese and Japanese language too. He's also the most down to earth person I know.. He never pretends to be someone he's not or isn't capable of. But the thing I'm most proud of is that he loves me... He's willing to sacrifice too many things for me, and I don't like that. If it means he has to work longer to guarantee he could support everything I need, he'll gladly do that. He has been my teacher too.. This may sound funny, but he noticed I'm so bad with Math that he decided to tutor me. Math is something he's very confident about, as his grade always belong to the highest 1% of his class from elementary to college. In my case, I couldn't really fathom how I was able to pass Math at school. He taught me not just Math but History, Economics, and Social Science too. He'd usually do that while I'm lying on the bed, munching on something and pretending I'm listening as he continously illustrate something on a piece of paper. I like ogling him as he teach.. especially when I see his dimples that resemble Mickey Cojuangco's... (sorry I can't think of any other person that has the same ones^^) Yeah, he still takes my breath away after all these years.

The truth is, I can go on and on with good things to say about Chris. I'm one proud girl so to speak. But even without all those things, I 'd still feel the same. I fell in love with him when he had nothing. He was just a student then, barely affording the constant need to buy plane tickets. He must have had a miserable student life, as he always had to pool all his allowance to buy those. I never saw him as someone who'll give me a better life, but someone who'll make me happy no matter what. For one, I don't think my life here is better than what I had back home. We weren't rich or anything, but at least we could afford to have some household help. Here, I have to learn and do all the things around the house.

It wouldn't really make a difference if he's a farmer or a fisherman... I can honestly see myself living with him in a small rural house, toiling in the field or raising cattles with our brown-haired children running around. Somewhere in Kangwon-do perhaps? But then again, it wouldn't really matter where...

0 comments: