6.26.2008

beware of this dish!


I was never a picky eater, and my taste buds are quite tolerant for a variety of dishes. I like eating korean food, and I didn't encounter any problems about it during my stay here. I occasionally crave for Filipino dishes, sometimes Italian, even all-American dishes but I don't mind having to eat korean food all the time. My rule of thumb is to smell it first before putting it in my mouth.. If I don't like how it smells then I don't eat it.

I was with a friend when we visited a traditional korean restaurant. I had bibimbap (which I posted earlier), and my friend had guk bap. Half-way thru my menu, a woman came carrying our third order, it was Hong Oh Hui(not the real one though).

"Hui" means sashimi style or raw... I mentioned a couple times before that I really love sashimi and sashimi-style dishes but geez...!This was something exotic and different, even too exotic for me!

The slices of fish in the picture are raw, then the red sauce is probably gochujang mixed with other spices, then there are some vegetables on it... It was fermented so it tasted really sour, and it's spicy as hell too. Excuse me for saying this, but it smells like fresh vomit!

I managed to have a couple of bites without having to puke, but I swear, I'm almost there. I didn't want to offend anyone so I tried to eat.. I just made up a lame excuse that I'm too full and that the super chewy and bony texture of the fish isn't good for my braces. Few minutes later, I was having stomache aches and felt sick.

I've learned my lesson, and I'm never gonna try anything like this again.

0 comments: