6.16.2010

Rainy Kind Of Wonderful (part 2).

At the other side of Cheongsong, not far from the reservoir, we visited this place called Juwang-san National Park. Juwang Mountain is part of Taebaek Mountain Range. It's summit is only 721 meters high - the smallest among all national parks in the country. 'Small' as they say, but the way I see it, it's massive. It houses several valleys, waterfalls and caves. I bet it's going to take the whole day if you wanna explore all the good things this park is famous for.





Juwangsan is known for it's beauty, but more so it's also a subject of many tales and legends. Important people in history seek refuge here during the ancient times of war and struggle.

There are lots of interesting rock formations to see there, but I got to say this hand-shaped rock is the most remarkable of them all. Right beside it is a Buddhist temple. See those colorful lanterns on the trees? They hung it to commemorate Buddha's birthday.




It's not really steep so it's good for hiking and stuff. Too bad we came at a bad time. It was hard to climb with umbrella and all that mud sticking in your shoe, so we chose to spend the rest of the afternoon at some traditional restaurant at the foot of the mountain. It's where I tasted the most delicious Dongdongju (Korean rice liquor).




I never really understood why Koreans like to drink Dongdongju and eat Pajeon when it rains till that day. Dongdongju doesn't really make you drunk, but it makes your body nice and warm against the cold rain. And as for Pajeon, they say it's the perfect sidedish to go with Dongdongju, and I couldn't agree more!



0 comments: