6.16.2010

Rainy Kind Of Wonderful

After Yeongdeok, Cheongsong was next to our agenda. It didn't take an hour to get there. With it's relatively short distance, you'd think the two places are similar, but it turned out to be entirely different with no semblance of similarity whatsoever. Only scanty minutes have passed and I could no longer see the jagged cliffs and taste that briny air in my mouth. Coastlines and rock formations were replaced by rolling hills and beautiful valleys.


The rain didn't wither and so is the fog, but all we need is a good and sturdy umbrella to jumpstart our rainy adventure. On our way to Cheongsong, we passed by Okgye Valley. The water was all muddy from the rain and the hills were partly obscured by fog.



I remember seeing this in the height of Summer when the sky was all clear. It was beautiful then.. and it still is beautiful even when it's rainy.



Cheongsong is known for it's delicious apples, and we passed by several apple farms on our way to Jusan Mountain. Rows and rows of apple trees, all stunted from the unusually cold Spring we had. I don't think the apples will be ready for harvest in fall and I feel bad for the farmers who planted those..
When we reached the foothills of Jusan Mountain, the rain barely halted. I hated the dampness all over, especially the pool of muddy rain water in the ground that seeped through my Chuck Taylor's. It made the 10-minute climb to the top feels like an hour.



There's a reservoir at the top and you could see ancient Willow trees growing in the water. These trees have been there for almost two centuries.




While exploring the area, I saw this plank of wood with braille written on it. So if there's such thing as that, does it mean visually impaired people come and visit this place too? ..



This beautiful lake surrounded by dense forest was created almost 200 years ago, and it has never been dried even in the longest droughts.

I've seen so many beautiful places in Korea, but there are only a few places I can call unforgettable - this place is one of them. It's so enchanting it makes you feel as if you're in a different world. Maybe someday, we can visit this place again. I'll probably bring a mat, some wine and a picnic basket then...

0 comments: