12.08.2007

A date with "August Rush"

It's a rather cold and chilly friday evening when I went to Aekyung Shopping mall for a late night stroll. I don't know what I should have for dinner and I guess my tastebuds are not up for something 'spicy'. When I reached the top-most floor (home of CGV movie theater), I was enticed to go and watch 'August Rush'. Well, I actually thought about watching 'Beowolf' but the wait is rather long so I ended up with my second choice.

I had a little less than an hour to catch up with my dinner, and was confused whether I should go to Pizza Hut or Popeye's. Since there is a reservation policy at Pizza Hut I made a choice to go with Popeye's as I couldn't spare anymore time to wait. I ordered a 'lunch set' menu, and yeah... I know it's weird for dinner but it's what they call it there! After dinner I hurried to go and watch 'August Rush'.

I feel like giving a review about this film though I'm not a good critic by all means. The story is about a young music prodigy who sneaked out of the orphanage to find his missing parents. The young boy believes that the 'mysterious' music which he hears around him helps find his way back to his parents. He went to New York and his talent starts to grow while learning how to play instruments. He believes that if he plays the instrument his parents will hear it and eventually find him. August Rush is a tried-and-tested formula and everything shown has been done a dozen times over with previous movies. The story lacks depth and originality and the audience are basically clueless as to what is the story all about or how the story is evolving.

The director showed the child's impeccable talent in a very surreal way and the turn of events unfolded in the most preposterous ways imaginable. Though I find so many flaws about this film, I actually enjoyed it. The best thing I like about it is the musical score. I was captivated as to how artistically orchestrated the music was performed... They also made a marvelous job in creating the musical soundtrack "August Rhapsody" which was played in the near-end... All the thrills, frills, heartache, joys, laughter, pain felt by the boy showed through the music he composed. I am raring to buy the official soundtrack of this movie and but I think it wont be available in stores here anytime soon....

0 comments: