7.25.2008

Squid Sashimi

"Have you eaten a live squid?", this is what my friends asked me when we went to a trip to Taean 2 years ago. Of course I answered "no" and told them we don't eat live squid in my country. And why not?! Squid looks gross and is best eaten when cooked, I think.

From then on, they didn't stop bugging me to try it just for the kicks. So I tried, being the adventurous person that I am, and I nearly puked. I gagged with a mouthful of slimy, squirming, moving slices of squid some of which got stucked in my throat. I haven't experienced eating something that movies while I chew on them so I'm totally grossed out.

But that changed when I visited Seoraksan last Fall. The place is known not just for the famous Mt. Seorak but also for the best sashimi in the country and I just could afford to lose the chance to taste them. I wasn't disappointed at all. Everything was delicious! Even the squid sashimi was beyond words...

I found this new appreciation for this dish and it really goes well with baekseju... The best way to enjoy this dish is to wrap it with lettuce with ssamjang and garlic....

0 comments: