4.18.2009

Sickening Summer.

It's 3 am in Manila, and the temperature tips at 29 degrees celsius. It was mildly drizzling this afternoon, and I steadily hoped it would quench the scorching, blistering summer heat. But the rain fell short and it didn't cool the air. It just made it even more unbearably humid.

Even with this temperature, I managed to go jogging with my mom today. She recently made a pact with herself to start being more active, and get involved in the labyrinth world of fitness and exercise. But she doesn't want to do it alone, so for the last couple of days, she has been pestering me to go jogging with her. With a hint of petulance in my voice, I agreed to accompany her to the sports complex . Who could blame me? Sweating and exercise with this temperature can be exceedingly trying. The heat drains out all the energy and motivation in me. At first I thought it was just an all out, full blown, spur of the moment thing-y that she'll get over in a few days. But I guess I was wrong. She appears to be decided, even going on a frantic shopping for sweatpants and running shoes the other day. Strangely, she refuses to go to the gym with me. She thinks it'll just bore her to death..

Today's the start of what seems to be an exhausting routine in the making. I have no other choice but to go with my mom.. I can't just let her jog by herself. It was close to 6 pm when we started our first round at the oval. I did 5 rounds before I slumped lifelessly at the grass-covered ground. At age 57, I didn't expect that my mom could keep up with me. She was only able to half jog/half walk 2 rounds before she sat down and joined me. We did a couple more laps after that, taking more rest that necessary. It had been considerably more difficult that what she expected, so I was caught a little off-guard when she said she wanted to do it again tomorrow.

There's no need to emphasize how drained I was from the run when we got home.. I was resting infront of the computer reading emails when all of a sudden, my nose got runny so I reached for the box of tissue. I was so focused on whatever I'm doing that I didn't realize my nose was already bleeding. Blood was steadily dropping from my nose, and seeing the blood all over my shirt freaked me out a bit. I've had nosebleeds before but never to this extent. I did the standard pinching of the nose and tilting the head, then I laid down on the bed before I called my mom. I could taste the blood in my mouth and that sickened me all the more. She brought an ice pack which she applied to my head and neck, and that significantly helped stop the bleeding. It's probably the heat, and it shouldn't be any cause of worry, but I blame the usual koreanovelas I see on TV for making me freak out that much.

0 comments: