5.10.2010

Ode to Spring: 1,200 Kilometer Journey.

Koreans must have done something to please God as He has blessed this country with insurmountable beauty worthy of a thousand mile journey. Beautiful is one word befitting in describing this country I've grown to love. As each season unfolds, senses are titillated with so many different wonders. It doesn't matter how long you've lived here. One can never go weary of it's beauty and time doesn't weaken the anticipation of what the season would bring. The excitement and awe will always be there. It's hard to describe the feeling, but for the sake of being articulate and descriptive, I say it's like when Daddy buys you your first Barbie, and your head is in a dizzying spin thinking of the endless fun possibilities you could do to it.

And like I always say, Spring is my favorite season. It's what I call sugar and spice and everything nice. A time when flowers abound and trees are in their brightest shade of green. The contrast of colors it makes with the pale blue skies is wickedly bewildering! And while Spring is still in full throttle, I got the chance to experience it's full glory when we travelled to Cheolla - a province located Southwest of Korea. The 2-day trip has definitely left it's mark on us. Imagine a 1,200 kilometer drive with no snacks! Just the thought of it could make any sane person lose their sanity. My butt was sore from sitting, while Chris strained his leg muscles from stepping on the accelerator for far too long. But pain was the last thing that occupied our thoughts while driving as the roads there are literally brimming with flowers in so many hues! I can't even count how many times we stopped to take pictures.

And as the kilometers are counting and give-away tissues from gas stations are rapidly accumulating, I wondered... Why on earth don't we have Spring in the Philippines?! While we have beaches and rainforests, Korea has THIS... with maples, snow and cherry blossoms on the side.

Here are some photos taken at random roads in Cheolla province. I gotta say, how can you possibly not fall in love with this place?! And this perhaps would explain why my eyes are tinged with the deadliest shade of green.







This is the first installment of my Spring travelogue. And if for some reason, it didn't bore you and you decide to stick around for the next one, you're in for a wonderful ride. You'll get to see beautiful sights, great food, and lots and lots of quirky behavior courtesy of yours truly.
Have a happy Monday y'all!

0 comments: