Seven days from now, the season of cool weather, bright green trees and flowers in bloom will be finally over. Days of blistering heat and humidity will replace all things I love about Spring. I'm not really cool with Summer cause it's harsh, and it's right around the corner making it's presence felt from time to time. Like last Friday, Buddha's Birthday, it was sweltering then and I had my first dose of the bitter Summer pill. Thankfully, it was just a one-day agony, and it's back to cool and comfortable again the rest of the weekend (thanks to the rain).
Now that Spring is on it's last stretch, I felt it's fitting to have one last hurrah and the three-day holiday couldn't come in a more perfect timing. So off we went to Gyeongsang, a huge province in the South of Korea. We only got one sunny day from our three-day tour to Gyeongsang, the rest were drizzly. I thought the rain would affect our trip immensely, but surprisingly, it didn't. Of course, there's the annoying need for umbrella wherever we go, but that's just about it. It's nice to see gray skies and fog for a change. And because it's cold, there's this constant need to stay close to each other and hold each other's hand (much like scenes from sappy movies). When romance permeates the air like that, you tend to forget about the dampness all over, or the mud in your shoe, even the annoying umbrella you're carrying, and somehow everything feels nice and right.
On the night we spent in Gyeongju, at some crappy inn, and while eating Jeokbal and drinking Makgeolli, Chris proposed... sort of. It didn't really come as a shock cause we've been vocal about marriage and stuff from way back. This is an excerpt from our conversation:
* * *
Chris: Do you really have to go next month?
Moi: My ticket is non-rebookable, so yes...
Chris: How about extending your stay? I'm willing to buy you another one if you like.
Moi: Hm... (didn't answer his question).
Chris: Why? Don't you wanna stay here in Korea with me?
Moi: Not so much.. (it was meant to be a sarcastic joke)
Chris: What do you think about 'not' going home and staying here permanently?
Moi: I don't understand..
Chris: You know.. get married..
Moi: Are you proposing to me right now?
Chris: Yes..
Moi: Over pig's feet and cheap liquor?! Seriously though, I need time to think about it.
Chris: What is there to think about?
Moi: You know I've got big plans with the business and all. And I have to settle things before my mom decides to join my sister in Australia... But why are you doing this right now? I imagined you proposing with flowers and champagne. And please, I don't wanna tell my kids I got engaged while eating pig's feet!
Chris: Women are impractical, but if you want I can do that... when you're ready to say yes.
* * *
Technically we are not engaged yet, so save your congratulations for now. It might sound crazy for some, but my close friends know why I reacted like this. I'm actually at the point where I'm still weighing things, cause honestly I still don't see myself living here and married to him. Maybe in the future I will, but right now, I feel like I don't wanna be tied to a permanent bond just yet. But in all honesty, those things he said were like music to my ears. It felt really, really nice!
So now you got the gist of how the trip had been, it was filled with a jumble of mixed emotions. For me, this trip was my best ever, not because of the sights I saw (God knows I've seen so many spectacular sights here), but because I saw Chris in a totally different light. I never really appreciated the way he instinctively holds my hand while driving, or the way he offers his jacket when I'm cold or carry my girly purse whenever I'm lazy till now. Even the way he lets me sleep at the backseat of the car while he drives for long hours, always taking me to
restaurants and feeding me good things, and eventhough he's tired from work, he'd always find time to take me out on a date. It's nice to know you're loved in more ways than one. I don't know what the future holds... But maybe, just maybe.. there might actually be a happy ending for the both of us.
*Stick around for my next post, you'll be seeing amazing sights from our trip.
5.24.2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment