12.03.2008

An old pair of gloves.


I was rummaging the closets and cabinets hoping to organize the things inside and look for my winter clothes from last year. In the middle of upheaving my long lost sweaters and jackets, I found an old pair of gloves. It's nothing fancy or anything but it holds a special place in my heart. It's one tangible thing I kept that kind of reminds me how kind koreans can be... strangers to be exact.

One winter night, I went out to meet a friend in Seoul. Back then, I wasn't exactly familiar how confusing the subway system can be. On my way home, I got lost in Geumjeong (didn't know I had to switch to a different line..!) and it didn't help that I was surrounded by people who can't speak English. I finally gave up looking for my way around the subway so I headed to the nearest exit thinking I should get a cab to go home. Instead of seeing the usual road where taxis frequently pass by, I was led to a dim-litted back alley. I felt nervous so I tried walking really fast praying a taxi would pass me by. But there wasn't any and I lost my way even further. I kept calling Chris but he wasn't picking up till my battery went dead. Out of frustration, I couldn't help but cry. It was cold and dark, and I'm alone sitting in what seems to be a bus stop sans the buses. A guy then came, noticing a sobbing foreigner and asked why. I thought he was a rapist or something so I was a bit alarmed but he was gracious enough to lend me his phone to call Chris (who eventually picked up while in the middle of a conference). They talked for a few minutes then he led the way back to the station and we took a different line. I finally arrived where I'm supposed to go while Chris was on his way to pick me up. While waiting outside the station, he offered me his gloves. My hands were frozen and I couldn't say no when he asked me to keep it. I was so relieved to finally see Chris, and we couldn't thank the stranger more for going out of his way and taking me to where I'm supposed to be... Glove-less in a very cold winter night, he headed back to ride the subway again....

I've had a few brush with koreans wo are prejudiced and judgemental but things like this reminds me not to lose hope in people. I sometimes over-criticize koreans for the occassional unpleasant remarks, but one thing I've realized is that I've never met a stranger in my country who would go out of his way to lend a helping hand, even if it meant losing a piece of their clothing...

0 comments: