7.20.2009

The day we went to Daebudo.

I've heard about Daebudo (Daebu Island) a long time ago from Chris. He always mentioned he wanted to bring me there, but for some reason, we would always end up going to a different place. He went to Daebudo with his parents a couple of years ago, and that trip inspired him to bring me there. Daebudo is located in Ansan-si, Gyeonggido province. This huge island which connects to Oido in Siheung City, sits in the Yellow Sea or how the Koreans call it, "the West Sea". Like I said in my previous post "Beach Talk", the Western shore is muddy and shallow like that of Daebudo, so this place isn't exactly for swimming and more for sightseeing purposes only.

So Sunday was the day we both decided to visit Daebudo. Chris woke up early to find some info about the weather and the place . He doesn't know how to get there without a car (we don't have it right now, and we wont be using it for a while.. long story^^), so he has to know how using the subway and bus. He woke me up around 11 am, demanding breakfast. I don't know but Sunday has always been my "lazy day", so I just bought coffee buns instead of preparing the usual breakfast. Right after we ate, we departed. The coffee and buns made me even more sleepy than I already was (we were up till 5 am the night before the trip), so I had to have more coffee at the station to perk me up.




We got off somewhere in Ansan, and while we were waiting for the bus that'll take us to Daebudo, I took a picture of the place. What I love about Ansan is that it has it's own 'urban' and 'rural' side. This is how their 'urban' side looks like. It doesn't look any different from the streets back in the city.



And this is how their 'rural' side looks like. Looks so different from the picture above right?





Ok, I know Daebudo looks icky and muddy cause you have to get dirty and all (this isn't a place for the squeamish), but you'll be surprised to know how romantic and fun it is to walk in the mud and explore different weird creatures. It's a totally different experience for me, and I had a lot of fun.



A lot of couples and families visit this place. There are so many crabs in the mud so some people brought their own shovel and buckets to catch them.



Those who didn't wanna get dirty chose to stay in shady spots like this. Some put up their own tents, and had barbecue (and if there's barbecue, there would always be soju right?).



Chris had so much fun digging and looking for creatures in the mud. I didn't touch any of them cause I'm afraid they'd bite. Here's Chris scaring me with some unidentified insect.



When the sun was about to set, I grabbed Chris to clean up and we chose a cozy spot to watch...


It's one of the most beautiful sunset I've ever seen. The sun made a cute reflection in the mud...



Of course, a trip would never be complete without tasting their famous food. Daebudo is known for it's delicious Kalguksu (칼 쿸 수). It's the main reason why Chris wanted to bring me there. We went to a Kalguksu restaurant that was featured in SBS. While waiting for our order, "banchan" (side-dishes) were served. The grain thing-y is called "bori" (barley), and you mix it with those veggies and gochujang to make "boribap".


And this one is called "bajirak kalguksu". It comes in a really huge bowl, enough to feed 4 hungry people. It was so delicious and so different from what I've tasted before!



Right after we ate, we decided to go home. It was already dark then. Both of us were really tired and we slept on the bus going to the subway station. Chris was being his usual 'goofy-self' when we were at the train, so as not to make me fall asleep again. Ansan is known for it's numerous factories, so there were more foreigners than Koreans on the train. We were oblivious to the stares we got from them as we took this picture...


* and as you can see in the picture, I bite my nails a lot!!!

0 comments: