Before I met Chris, I knew very little of this country. Even if I was surrounded by Koreans for years, I still couldn't get a 'feel' of their country and culture. Whenever I ask them to describe Korea, I usually get a generic response like "Korea is very beautiful", "it's very clean", and "it has four seasons" like they learned that from school or something. Maybe it's because of the language that's why it's so hard for them to describe Korea the way I wanted them to, or maybe it's something else.. Hanging out with them taught me a couple of things about their culture like how they value age, their love for drinking (that's why you could always find them in bars around Manila), and their obsession with education. But no matter how many Koreans I meet, there were still so many things I couldn't understand, and so many questions were still unanswered.
After I met Chris, I became more and more eager to learn about his country. Sure there are so many stuff you could read on the Internet, but I find blogs more informative. I wanted to know how it's like to be here, 'see' things that they see, and 'feel' things that they feel even if I was thousands of miles away from this country. I consider myself lucky for having to read Anabanana's blog before, because her posts answered a lot of things I couldn't understand. She inspired me in so many ways, so when I came here, I wanted to do the same thing. I wanna be able to share my experiences not just through words but also pictures, cause there might be someone like me out there, who wants to know how it's like to be here, 'see' things as I see them, and 'feel' what I feel. I'd sometimes receive kudos comments that inspire me to write and share more. But there's one that flattered me the most, and it says "parang nakapasyal na rin ako sa Korea", cause that's exactly my purpose for blogging.
I like to keep it real, no pretense or whatsoever. When I'm sad, bitter, happy, or angry I say that straight-up. I make fun of myself, laugh at my insecurities, and I even write personal stuff that I shouldn't be saying. I never intended to boast cause life here isn't as sweet as some people would think. This is exactly the way I wanna present my life here in Korea. It's what I like calling "bitter-sweet", both pleasant and painful, sad and happy, boring but sometimes fun!
7.22.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment