There was a time when he ruled the Korean music scene. A time when Bi was totally dominated when it comes to pure talent, popularity, and even performance. I like Se7en and that's a fact. My favorite song is 'Come Back to me' and it has been eternally in repeat-mode in my mp3 player. To put it correctly, I like him A LOT! And I thank him for bringing out the 'korean' in me.
Long time ago, I never thought Koreans can be equally hot as their neighboring countries (maybe because I haven't seen Se7en yet!). My first encounter with the 'Han' kind was at grade school, 2nd grade exactly. Her name was Moon H.J. We were in the same class at Holy Angels Montessori and we happen to be seatmates. I first tasted 'kimbap' thru her mother at one of our lunch breaks. I vividly remeber not liking it and even gathered up the courage to ask 'ajumma' why there's no fish (I really thought it was sushi then...). More followed and the taste became less troublesome for me. During vacation, my father broke the news that their family business isn't doing well and they have to go back to Korea immediately. That was the last time we saw each other.
I thought my encounter with their 'kind' ended when Moon H.J. went back home but little did I know it was just a start of more to come.
I started to begin noticing them ('again') 7 years ago. Ok, I must admit... I partly blame 'hallyu' for it but who cares.
I started watching shows from Arirang TV (usually late at night or early dawn) where I first saw Se7en performing at some random concert, listened to Korean songs (mostly by G.O.D., H.O.T., Shinhwa, SG wannabe and of course Se7en), reading about the country, tasting their food (although the ones I ate a long time ago lacks aunthenticity!!!), even watching Korean cartoons. Then I started meeting Korean people and to my surprise, almost instantly we 'jived'. I began to learn few words and basic sentences even some 'cussing' words.
As fate worked it's way, I travelled to their country the first time but didn't actually experience much other than doing a bit of travelling, drinking at some 'pojjangmajja' in an alley in Seoul, and tasting some dishes but I can't remember much other than that.
A few more visits followed and I began to appreciate the country even more. I like it not just because of the the boybands in some funky costumes doing their thing on TV or concerts, there's a whole lot more than that!
3.22.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment