3.10.2008

How well do I know KR

A fun quiz about how well I know Korea:

1. What is the tallest building in Korea?

* I know it was 63 building in Seoul before but not now!!

2. The Korean president's house is called the ____ house (fill in the blank).

* Blue House - been there!

3. On the South Korean flag, what do the black blocks around the yin-yang symbol stand for?

* I asked that question before but so far none gave me the correct answer.. They just mentioned it's too damn difficult to explain!

4. What is the nickname of Korea?

* Dae Han Minguk

5. The Korean word for 'coffee' is 'copy'. If you said 'ko pee' what would you be saying?

* COPY as in photocopy, carbon copy...

6. Which of the following is a Korean car manufacturer?

* Hyundai, GM Daewoo, Kia

7. What soft drink is not sold in Korea?

* I have never seen or was able to buy ROYAL!

8. What was the last Dynasty in Korea?

* Joseon Dynasty?

9. With the Japanese occupation, what happened to the Korean way of life?

* Many aspects are heavily influenced by the Japanese culture.

10. What is the most popular sport in Korea?

* Soccer - so when it's the world cup season expect the world to turn upside down!!!!

11. What is the name of the traditional Korean costume?

* Hanbok

12. The Tripitaka Koreana, is a creation of the most complete collection of Buddhist scriptures in the world. This collection was carved on wood blocks in Chinese characters. How many wood blocks went into this creation?

* Wait! I have to ask a friend.

13. What is Korea's National Living Treasure?

* Namdaemun (Great South Gate) in Seoul which apparently burnt down last Febuary 11th.

14. Rice is the traditional main dish in Korea. Next to rice comes kimchi. What is kimchi?

* fermented cabbage that tastes a bit sour, SPICY, and a hint of saltiness to it.

15. There are many festivals and rituals in Korea, including an infants first birthday (Tol). What is its significance?

* A celebration of life, a way to thank the Gods or ancestors for keeping the baby free from harm.

16. When do Koreans celebrate their birthdays?

* using lunar calendar...

17. Which of the following is a Korean beer?

* Cass

18. What percentage of Koreans are under the age of 25?

* I don't know..

19. What year did the so-called "Kwangju Massacre" take place in which hundreds of street protesters were gunned down by the military in the southern city of Kwangju?

* Maybe Korean war?

20. What's the most popular family name in Korea?

* Park, Lee, Song, Jang

0 comments: