11.16.2007

The Weekend


Last weekend I headed out to Kangwon-do, it's the Eastern-most part of the country. It feels nice to be away from city; the crowd, the noise, and the pollution. Kangwon-do is said to be the most rural place in the country with agriculture being it's top most source of income. For a place that is almost covered with mountains, I didn't expect it too be so beautiful. It's a great place to see the many colors of Autumn so it is quite popular with tourist both foreigners and Koreans alike.

It's a 4 hour drive by car and a 5 1/2 hour via train so the trip going there can be exhausting. Upon arriving, it's already mid-afternoon and my first destination is Seoraksan, it translates as beautiful snow-rock mountain and it's said to be the most beautiful place in the whole country. To climb the peak one must ride a cable car first and climb by foot for 15 mins. Since it's the major tourist attraction in Kangwondo there are so many people. Getting a ticket for a cable car ride can take up to two hours so I did a little hike at one of their hiking courses.
I just managed to get past the river and I had to go back to catch my ride to go to the mountain. I'm glad I wore my thickest coat as it was really cold at the top. Then I had to climb to get to the peak. My knees are shaking ang trembling in fear, the 15 minute climb was so much difficult than I anticipated. With one simple mistake one can lose his life so I am very cautious. There are no rope, no safety harness whatsoever, you just use your hands to climb. I haven't done rock-climbing so I'm very nervous... Half-way, my foot got stucked in a crevice and I can't move. The people behind me were quite annoyed because they cannot move as well. One ajussi offered to help me and grabbed my hand so I was able to inch my way up. At long last I reached the top, I had to sit because it is really windy and one can lose his balance and fall. I have never been this close to dying I said to my self.

But the view is breath-taking and it's all worth it. The panorama at the peak resembles Himalayas to me, quite picturesque. I spent 10 minutes before I decided to go down, I was the last person to do so and I'm not proud of it. Descending from the top was even more difficult. I lost my balance twice, sweated profusely but I'm very thankful that I managed to go down safely. It was the most nerve-wracking event in my life but it's also exhilirating at the same time, and if I would be given a chance I'll do it all over again.

I headed out to a port in Seokcho afterwards to meet some people. The place looks like a night market where there are endless street-vendors, restaurants, seafood vendors and patrons. It's known for sashimi so all the fishes, crustaceans, and other seafood are alive and prepared before your eyes. I had sashimi, squid sashimi (which are eaten while it's still moving), clams, and prawns with baekseju or in english 100 year old wine (it's just a brand name, it's not really fermented for a hundred year).

The next day, I went to DMZ, the border between North and South Korea. After lunch, I went on my way to Gyeongpo beach which I heard the second most-beautiful beach in Korea next to Haeundae in Busan. The water looks great and it's not crowded. But I cannot really appreciate the sea when it's so cold to even touch the water. We had to drive thru Daegwallyong before we can reach our final destination. It's said to be the most difficult driving course in Korea. It's such a steep place, full of sharp curves, and very foggy, so foggy that there are numerous caution signs to drive slowly and carefully. I can't imagine if it's winter and snowing, it could be a very, very dangerous drive for beginners.

The last stop was the lamb petting zoo. I really couldn't stand the smell, it's intoxicating. But somehow, people like touching them and feeding them. I can't get really near because of their smell and it's the time they'd close the place, but nevertheless, it's worth seeing them even from afar. They are so cute and meek but the children that can't get their hands off them, and by the way their fur looks really neat!!!

The 4 hour drive home became 5 because of the heavy traffic. Had to stop twice to get some snacks and use the bathroom. I noticed how the air has suddenly changed that night. It was a little below zero and my breath was all foggy like a dragon's. Is it winter already?! I hope not...It's difficult to go on a trip when it's below zero degrees. I pray for more warm days to come.....................

0 comments: