8.26.2008

On top of Mt. Seorak



I arrived at Seoraksan at 1 pm and it was raining incessantly. It has been raining non-stop even the night before and I even considered cancelling the trip. I'm glad I did not or I would have missed seeing the beautiful mountain scenery. Seoraksan is the most beautiful mountain in Korea and it offers different sceneries as the season changes. I was pretty excited as the cable car slowly reached the top. The view was magnificent as I expected... It would have been so much better if there was no fog. The fog was heavy at that time and it was difficult to see the entire mountain... it also didn't help that it was raining non-stop and the ground was very slippery. Moreover, I didn't have an umbrella with me so I bought a raincoat from an ajumma that sells it for $2. Nevermind if I looked hilarious wearing that pink raincoat, it was all part of the experience! = )


Felt jittery the whole time I was standing still posing for the camera... the edges of the mountain didn't have any rope nor any barrier. A simple slip or slid can mean death in this kind of place so better be at guard the whole time.

After some time the rain started to stop (what a relief!) but nevertheless, the rocks where we stand were still slippery. I wanted to stay longer but the fog got heavier by the minute, making it difficult to see the person standing right next to me so I decided to go down.

While waiting for the cable car, I bought delicious hotteok. I felt famished after ascending and descending the mountain. It was totally nerve-wracking that it seemed I lost all my strenght upon reaching the car...

0 comments: