I've been really busy this week going back and forth more than the usual to Seoul and Daecheon for my classes so I'm really tired the whole week. I need time to take a rest and sleep enough but that didn't happen because my homestay asked me to go back to Daecheon and look after her child while she's at Cheonan taking care of a sick daughter. I wanted to tell her so badly that I feel terrible and I just wanted to stay at home and sleep but I couldn't. I'm suffering from sore throat, have a slight cough, and my body aches all over. It's impolite to say 'no' to an old person here when they're asking a favor so I reluctantly boarded the train early in the morning. There are so many people at the train and I almost forgot that it's still summer vacation for a lot of people but not for me. Time goes so slow here in Daecheon... and it kills me. It's so different from the city! Although people here are genuinely nice, they are so conservative and talkative.
I don't ask much but just a little quiet time and not having someone ask me something all the time. Like how I should tie my hair, what should I wear, what I shouldn't wear, how I should not wear socks, when should I wash my clothes, why I should never close the door or the window in my room. They even ask me to brush my teeth or take a shower in a specific time , and no... I do not have halitosis or body odor and I'm proud of my hygiene. They just ask me this because they just couldn't stop talking. What really freaks me out is how they creep inside my room at night to see if my windows are open or if the fan is turned on or if I'm cold. I feel difficult to sleep in other people's houses so if I wake up in the middle of the night (which always happens), I can't get back to sleep. I tried locking the door before so it would stop but they didn't stop knocking to see what I was doing so I just followed them not to lock doors. I came to Seoul one day and when I got back, I'm stunned to see that the door lock was disabled.
I really hate how they bug me about all the things! They are nice and all but they just couldn't shut up! What I hate the most is that I need to keep all windows or doors open all the time. Do they have something against closed doors here? One needs privacy right? I couldn't even change my clothes inside my room cause the door shouldn't be closed so I have to get dressed inside the crampy toilet. I don't wanna even mention how they bugged me on how I should and how I should 'not' eat their food. Apparently, they have some specific way of eating chicken so they want me to follow them, I was aghast when they tried to tinker with my chicken using their chopsticks because I wasn't eating it right! Oh come on!!!!!
I'm totally pissed and I know I'm being such a brat. I'm probably too sensitive and they didn't mean any harm while doing so. I blame it on the cultural difference. This is not my country so I have to adjust. But there comes a day when I just couldn't take any of that and just wish they would stop. I cried because I'm so pissed today. So annoyed that I wasn't able to hold back my tears cause I couldn't do anything. Because I don't have a choice. Even if I don't ever wish to come back, I have to. Good thing I have a blog. I really need to vent.
It's now 8:40 pm. 16 more hours to go before my departure here. I really just can't wait.... But soon it'll be Tuesday and I have to come back here again. I just need a frigging break!
8.10.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment