8.28.2008

The Blue Crush Phenomenon



Remember the movie "Blue Crush" starring Kate Bosworth?! I watched this surfing movie so many years before... but why is it included in my post? Well, East Sea reminds me a lot about this movie. Here's why..

Beaches of Gangwon-do aren't good good for swimming although the water is clean and nice. Waves are too strong that swimming can be quite dangerous because it's the first land just outside the Pacific Ocean. Curious me, I tried going to a random beach which I happen to forget the name. Beach was nice, water is cold and blue.... There were a few people there too. I walked towards the beach not having an inkling how strong these waves are. I didn't plan on getting wet or anything, I just wanted to feel the sand and water with my barefeet just like what I usually do whenever I come across any beach. I was wearing shorts at that time so I didn't mind getting my ankles wet. A wave came in, didn't expect that it was 'that' strong and suddenly, the water reached my knees and upper thighs.. It was so strong that I almost lost my balance, then I felt I was sinking as the water goes back... I kept on laughing the whole time... then another wave came, bigger than before... suddenly I thought about running... I knew I will get wet so I ran but it was too late, a huge wave came and I felt the water reached my ears... I got totally wet that I had to change my clothes immediately! Whew...

I thought it was fun to play with the waves.. but it scared me a little. I've never experienced a wave like that in my lifetime. First thing the water is at my ankles, a couple of seconds later, it reached my thighs, and moments later it's right in my ears! Funny thing, I wasn't even moving. I was just standing still at one place. Everything happened so fast! But I thought if I don't experience it now, I may never have the chance in the future. It was a good experience for me! I wasn't able to get pictures of the beach as I was busy chasing the waves and having one hell of an experience but I was able to get pictures of other beaches nearby..


I saw huge waves which they call 'pipeline' in the movie blue crush. It's pretty amazing to see it forming in the middle of the sea as it gets taller and taller. Soon the huge wave will come crashing through creating this pipe-like scenario. I'm not a surfer but I can guess how cool it would be to get so close and play with huge waves like that.

0 comments: