1.25.2009

Of Snowfall and Singing.

It doesn't usually snow that much in Suwon, so the huge snowfall last night came as a big surprise to me. I was only aware of that when I went out to throw the garbage, and snow clusters that looked like mini cotton balls were falling gracefully from the sky, and my ankles were buried. I told this to Chris, he too was very surprised. I was out a few hours before to get some pastries and fresh bread from my favorite bakery, but all I saw was dirty snow melted into a slosh, a texture I hate so much. It reminds me of the ones you get from 7-eleven called 'slurpee'. Whenever I walk on sloshy ground, the sound it makes gives me 'pangingilo'. You know the thing that a person feels when others scratch the blackboard with their fingernails? It's really similar to that.

Since everything looks different and new with thick white snow, I asked Chris to go with me outside. We then found ourselves walking aimlessly, and while doing that, I did enjoy looking at the surroundings... I even saw a couple of crazy college kids having a snowball fight! They too, must be amused like me with the sudden change in the area. I told Chris I wanted to sing so we entered the first Noraebang we saw. I'm an awful singer, but I'm freakishly gutsy when it comes to singing in Noraebang. Well, I could never understand that side of me anyway... While Chris was out getting beer, I browsed the thin selection of English songs. I was really dumbfounded when I saw they had "Supermassive Black Hole" by Muse. It's a big, big favorite of mine and I would never, ever, expect it to be included in a cheap, basement-style Noraebang's songbook. Just before the song started, Chris came carrying two large beer. I sang excitedly, giving my best rendition and impersonation of Muse. Midway, Chris got the other mic and started singing with me. I stared at him wide-eyed, bemused. The whole time I was singing, I kept on thinking how could he know this song? Does he have an inner 'cool' side of him that I didn't know of? I've always condemned his choice of music to the darkest pits of hell. Those are the stuff I dread to hear... the bad stuff... unacceptable to my ears.. I couldn't wait any longer so as soon as the final note was finished, I asked him how he knew the song. He casually answered that I played it a lot at home especially when I'm cleaning, and he sheepishly admitted that the tune was a bit catchy too.

Two hours flew fast in Noraebang.. With the very limited selection of songs, I was able to sing 13. When I sang "The Reason" by Hoobastank, Chris sang with me again. In the middle of pauses, he explained to me that I sing this song a lot whenever we visit a noraebang, so he sort of memorized it too. As if I'd be needing an explanation whenever he gets the mic and start singing with me... I find it really funny that sometimes, I influence him to bend his musical preferences. Our last song was "This Love" by Maroon 5, I was yawning uncontrollably after that. It was a little after midnight then.

0 comments: