So I finally met an old friend over a cup of coffee. She was my group-mate in prosthetics/orthotics class back in college. She has gotten so much prettier from the last time I saw her years ago! There was definitely something different in her face but I thought it's rather impolite to ask if she went under the knife.
I guess she noticed my puzzled expression, so she disclosed she had surgery ( and I think some skin bleaching too.. ) not too long ago. She had her nose done and some chin implant to balance everything out. The plastic surgeon did a good job cause it looked really natural...
This started rumors in our college reunion early this year. I guess 'crab mentality' is one classic filipino trait that will always be present in our society. I can't understand why some people can't be happy for others. Plastic surgery is more than just being vain or dissatisfied with what God has given us. It's being happy and feeling good about yourself. It's a personal preference, and it's not for others to question, speculate, or see as debatable. I'm sure given the right finances, a lot of people would readily jump to the bandwagon to feel good about themselves and the way they look at the mirror.
In Korea where plastic surgery is as normal as getting a haircut, this wouldn't stir any discussion. In this light, I remember an interview of a famous plastic surgeon in Beverly Hills regarding plastic surgery being insubstantial and superficial (or something like that..) What he said next surprised me... "yes it is superficial", "but nobody walks down the street showing their inner beauty".. and I couldn't agree more.
11.27.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment