11.24.2008

A picky-eater and a cook.

I don't consider myself a picky-eater, but people close to me think otherwise. My bf would always complain how difficult it is to feed me and how choosing a restaurant becomes a tedious task. I don't cook a lot at home so we don't have choice but to eat outside most of the time. Imagine spending an hour or so, deciding on which restaurant we should go to. This happens most of the time so he can't help but complain. I'm really not like him when it comes to food. He's very adventurous and I haven't seen an occassion, where he refused to eat something. When he was in the Phil, he heard from someone that eating 'balut' would increase his virility and it didn't take much prodding before he took his first bite. In my case, I never had the courage to eat balut, so the taste still remains a mystery.

So we wouldn't argue anymore, we came up with an agreement to let me cook whatever I want to eat. I liked the idea at first, but then who knew finding ingredients in the supermarket can be tough?! I'm not in any way a great cook, I think 'decent-cook' sounds more operative. I wanted to impress him with my so-called kitchen flair, so once I tried cooking adobo but the end result tasted nothing like it. When I heard from a friend that there are several kinds of soysauce and vinegar in Korea, I was dumbfounded! From then on, I started to scrutinize the labels first before putting it in the cart.

I already gave up cooking pinoy dishes to impress him (there was also a case of 'Beef Caldereta gone bad' where I put spaghetti sauce cause I couldn't find any tomato sauce!!!) and to feed my 'food-sickness' issue. Now, I just cook korean dishes for him, it's somehow easier to prepare and I know he'd appreciate it more. As for me, I make a schedule of what I should cook in all 7 days. We have what we call Kimchi Chigae mondays or Sundubu Chigae sundays.. like that. Those 7 dishes (the only dishes I can prepare..) will then be rotated the next week. But I get tired of eating the same 7 meals week by week and I would really love to try something else. Back to square one, we'd eat outside. Now, arguing on where we should eat takes an hour and a half!

0 comments: