11.26.2008

Off to see a Doctor.

So today I'm going to the doctor's office to check my condition ( have cold symptoms for 2 weeks now! ). I'm leaving for Korea very soon so I have to make sure that everything's fine. As much as possible, I don't wanna be sick when I'm there. Foreigners aren't covered by the national insurance so we have to pay a lot for the doctor's fee and medicines.

During the 2 years of going in and out of Korea, I've been sick countless of times, usually during the summer season when it gets really hot and in winter when it's cold. Chris and I love going on a date or traveling almost every week but extreme temperature makes me sick. As a result, I visit the doctor's office quite often and it costs a lot of money.

My most recent visit to a doctor's office happened last October. It was a clinic in Maetan-dong near Samsung. For a check-up that didn't last more than 30 minutes (including the waiting time and a shot in the tushy^^), I was charged 45,000 won and the medicine (mostly antibiotic) was around 12,000. The other clinic I usually visit charges 40,000 won however, they have such unfriendly nurses. But in any case, it's still expensive. For those who have insurance, it'll be much cheaper, although I'm not exactly sure how much. Dental Care Clinics are also expensive. I remember a time when some of my brackets were displaced after eating crabs for dinner. They charged me just as much for gluing it back. The dentist, a beautiful woman (despite an obvious addiction to plastic surgery) in her early 40's asked what happened and after I explained to her, she blurted... "CRABS?" in long and winding tone. Her eyes widened in disbelief then she said.. "you know you're not suppose to eat crabs." Till now, I still remember her face vividly.

With these experiences, I can't help but think of those foreigners working in Korea. It can be tough for them to get sick. So it's really a blessing that some NGO's created 'goodwill clinics' to help migrant workers. I heard consultation and medicines are for free... But what about those who are working illegally? I'm sure there are a lot of 'undocumented' people who need medical attention and treatment but are not getting any. I hope the government can do something about it.

0 comments: