11.13.2008

Red Hot Room

After a good workout, I just love going to the red-hot room where it reaches 57 degrees! I'm sure by now, you guys know what I'm talking about. The first time I tried it was at Clark Hatch Fitness Center located at the 2nd floor of Dusit Hotel. Sis and I were members there for a year, and we visit the sauna each and every time we were there.

The current gym I'm going to doesn't have a spacious sauna unlike in Clark Hatch... But it's decent enough to accomodate 4 people, maximum of 6. It's nice and quiet so sometimes I can't help but doze off for a few minutes!

Other than breaking a good sweat, what is really going on when we enter the sauna room... here are some facts I read..

* During a 10-20 minute sauna session, your heart rate increases by 50-75%. This provides the same metabolic result as physical exercise. The increased cardiac load is the equivalent of a brisk walk. There is a nominal effect on blood pressure because the heat also causes the blood vessels in skin to expand to accomodate blood flow.

* Blood vessels become more flexible and there is increased circulation to the extremities. During a sauna, blood flow to the skin increases to as high as 50-70% of cardiac output (compared to the standard 5-10%). This brings the nutrients to the subutaneous and surface tissue reulting in glowing healthy skin.

* Steambaths and Sauna induce sweating to provide a comprehensive cleansing of the skin and sweat glands. Skin is the largest organ in the body. 30% of the wastes are passed thru the skin. Profuse sweating enhances the detoxification capacity of the skin y opening pores and flushing impurtities from the body.

* When taking a sauna, skin temperature rises to 40 degrees celsius and internal body temperature rises to about 38 degrees celsius. Exposure to the high heat creates an artificial fever state. Fever is part of the body's natural healing process. Fever simulates the immune sysytem in resulting in increased production of white blood cells, antibodies and interferon (an anti-viral protein) with cancer fighting capability.

* Spas and other such therapeutic facilities utilize saunas and steambaths in conjunction with massage to loosen fatty tissue and sssist in the battle against cellulite.

* Many regular steam and sauna users claim that 'a good sweat' at the onset relieve and ward off the most severe symptoms of cold or flu.

0 comments: