Fact is, a lot of people in Korea have mistaken me for being an underage girl. I'm not sure why this thing happened a lot, but sometimes it can be embarassing (especially the part where I have to reveal my real age and people gasp in disbelief).
I'm pushing 30 in a couple of years, still young like others would say. But when I was younger, 30 was my idea of being old. Well, not now..
My first brush with the 'Age Dilemma' was at the plane, during my first time to visit my bf. A korean university guy befriended me. He kept on talking and telling me stories in his broken english, which I thought was very funny. After a while, he asked me how was I able to secure my parents permission to visit my bf in Korea... He also asked about school and everything, and if my parents are ok with me missing school. All the while he thought I was a high-school student (strange but true, blame it on my hello kitty bag!!) and was shocked to find out I'm older than him. I told this funny story to my bf and he explained to me that most Pinay look younger than their real age, and the fact that Koreans aren't well aware of foreign people's age just by looking at their faces.
Another occurence was at my bf's grandmother's house. The first time I met his 'halmmoni', she fondly called me "hakseng". I didn't know what it meant at that time so I just let it pass. Until now, she still calls me "hakseng" even if the people around her kept telling I'm not.
Sometimes, it can be quite inconvenient too, like for example going to Ministop or Family mart to buy cigarettes or beer has always been a hassle. They would always ask me for an ID card so whenever Chris would ask me to buy those things while he's at the office, I always recline. Another funny story was when we went to a nightclub after dinner to celebrate our 3rd year anniversary and we couldn't enter the place. The 'bouncer' asked for my ID card (which I left at home) so Chris told him I'm already at the legal age to drink. He kept on looking at Chris who was wearing a coat and tie at that time and towing a girl who seems to be under-age. The bouncer was suspicious that he might be a 'teen-age predator'. He was asking a lot of questions, and Chris was utterly embarassed that he decided to just go home. On the way home, I was laughing like crazy.
But it has benefits too, like discounts and cheaper entrance fees, whenever we travel. Who wouldn't want that?
Truth is, there isn't anything youthful looking with my appearance. It's just that, I always maintain a cheerful disposition which makes me feel and look younger than I really am (and also the fact that I'm wearing braces at this AGE..!). It beats all other age-defying and anti-wrinkle creams available in the market!
11.25.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment